Monday, January 18, 2010

Update

I know I haven't updated the blog in a while, and that has been due to the abundance of traveling I've engaged in in the past month.  Kolkata was followed by the Sunderbans, then by Darjeeling, a five day trek in the Himalayas, more Kolkata, a brief 4-day stint back at Rishi Valley, Hampi in Karnataka, and midpoint in Kerala.  It's been a fantastic, fantastic time.  I'll try to write a collection of essays highlighting my thoughts on each of my destinations, and I'll try to include pictures, as well (if the internet will allow).

The current news back at Rishi Valley is:
  • It's warm again!  80s in the daytime, 70s at night.
  • The puppies are growing, although my favorite, WonkyEye, is missing.  This breaks my heart.
  • The internet is off at REC.  This is sad and limits a lot of my capabilities at work.  We're hoping it'll start running again soon.  I can use the internet at the main office, but this seems to be a hassle for all parties involved.
  • The food is still delicious!  I have really missed Rishi Valley food.
  • We're expecting a team from Mumbai to come visit on the 1st of February.  Hopefully, that'll work out this time.
  • Fellows will come visit me!  Samir, a fellow education fellow, is scheduled to come see me in early February -- it will be exciting to show him around and hear his feedback!  Behzad is supposed to come early Feb, as well.  Kirsten, an awesome fellow who has been here for almost two years (her fellowship got extended from last year) wants to come visit, so that'll also be exciting, as her work is so interesting and closely related to ours!  :)  Charlie should also be here in March or April or so. I'm hoping some others will come, too!  I love visitors.
  • Currently, a Canadian woman is staying at REC.  She is really fantastic, and I have enjoyed my interactions with her greatly.  She's a bit older and is full of fascinating stories.  She is presently working in Bhopal on human rights issues, and it has been great to learn from her.  She is working on enhancing our English curriculum (she did a lot of ESL and English-reading learning with students with disabilities back in Toronto).  I am so happy to have her help on writing more passages -- I feel like she will do great things for our program, even in the short time that she is here.
  • I HAVE HAMMOCKS.  I am super excited!  Pictures to come.


Life is good. 

Also: happy belated birthday to my awesome mother!  And, mom, thanks for the care package you sent me: it was the best thing ever!!

No comments:

Post a Comment