Monday, May 3, 2010

The magic of milk

As a lactard, I miss out on a lot of Indian delicacies.  First, there is buttermilk, which south Indians drink with and post meals daily.  (Buttermilk is yoghurt diluted with water.)  Then, there is cool curd, or yoghurt, which one can spoon into their mouth after eating some delightfully spicy thing, or which one can mix into rice for a cool trat.  Then, there is raita, a variation of curd with vegetables (usually onion), which one mixes in with their lemon or tomato or tamarind rice -- sooooo delicious.  I won't even get into the amazing desserts, all milk-based.

Indians eat milk products to quell their stomachs after the spicy main course.  Usually in the form of yoghurt, these post-meal snacks aid in digestion and provide the body with healthy probiotics (the opposite of antibiotics), the healthy bacteria.  It's great stuff. 

As I am bitter I can't have any, I urge all of you to double up your milk product intake today!  Have an extra ice cream cone in honor of me!  Yoplait your little heart out!  Slap an extra slice of cheese on that sandwich!  Do it for me.

And, if you want to learn how to make your own yoghurt, go here: http://aifservicecorps.blogspot.com/2010/04/do-it-yourself-curd-in-kitchen.html

No comments:

Post a Comment