Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I finally moved into my home for the next 10 months, and it is undeniably sweet! I doubt that the other AIF fellows will have accommodations this nice. I have a separate room in a compound of the Ananda House on the Rural Education Centre campus. The double-doors open to a large bedroom with two beds (one has a mattress on it and the other is a bare wooden frame), a big wardrobe, nightstand, table, and shelves. I have already unpacked my suitcases (which fit nicely under my bed), and fit all of my clothes into the big wardrobe in the bedroom. The room has large windows on either side and gets lots of light and air. There is a large five speed fan above the beds. The ceiling is really high, which makes the room seem even bigger and airier, which I greatly enjoy. There are four lights, two fluorescent and two regular (I only keep one on at a time – it is more than enough to light the room!). The table is set up with an electric kettle, two mugs, and two cups. On the shelf above it, I have a flashlight, and mosquito repellant: coils and plug ins. There are also candles in case the electricity goes out. I have also put up some pictures that I have and made one shelf to hold my books and art supplies (crayons spice up your life, so I brought them).



I have brought sheets, and they add a lot of color to the room: the walls, curtains, and furniture is all very white, so it is nice to have some blue and purple to brighten it up. Also, my sarongs always add some color to wherever I’m at. I brought my African batik, which I bought from Joseph Njie at Aburi Market some long time ago – I am hoping to get some tape or tacks to put it up on the wall. Things are starting to feel home-y.



Connected to the bedroom is a large bathroom, which I absolutely adore. It has a flushing toilet (the flusher is just like the one at my grandmother’s house), a shower (cold water), and sink. There are three more faucets: one by the toilet (cold) and two directly below the shower, one of which is connected to a water heater, allowing me to have hot water for laundry or bucket showers (yes, please). It gets quite cool at night, so I think I’ll be taking more hot bucket showers than cold regular ones, taking advantage of the water heater. There’s also another heater (a spool you plug in and place inside a bucket to boil water) for use as well. Pretty neat! The bathroom also has a huge shelf on it, which conveniently holds the 10-month supply of toiletries I bought before leaving Texas. This is awesome. Everything is really well organized. What I especially love are the large mirrors – full length and standard over the sink in the bathroom and a large mirror for your upper body in the bedroom. I don’t remember us having a mirror in Ghana, and it was something that I missed. Also, after living in the Blue Whale, I had grown accustomed to having mirrors around. Makes it feel more like home.

Outside, to the left of my door is the kitchen, stocked with a sink, dishsoap, sponge, water filter (very important!), and gas stove. The stove looks like a modern camping stove with two burners and a big gas tank attached to it. It’s really nice. So far, I’ve been eating in the cafeteria, so I’m not sure when I’ll ever use this space, but it’s nice to know that it’s there. (Maybe if I get really sick, I can make toast and broth there? We’ll see…)



Outside my door is a little courtyard with an open roof, which is quite delightful. The whole compound is painted a sweet orange color, of which I am a fan. Also, I have been issued a bicycle to ride to and from the main campus, which has a dainty basket on the front and a proper backseat (something American bicycles lack, or so I’ve noticed). I have yet to pimp my ride, but it looks pretty spectacular already, so no need.



I’m growing quite fond of the place. If you’re in India – come visit! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tatiana - I am an ex-student of Rishi Valley and chanced upon your blog. I am looking forward to vicariously re-living my days in the Valley through your narratives :-) I loved my years there and have been reading your posts with nostalgia. Its been many years since I graduated from there and at least 8 years since I last visited.
    A classmate, and friend, of mine just recently started working at the REC - have you bumped into her yet? Nirmala J?

    ReplyDelete