Saturday, October 10, 2009

The Stars Are Projectors, Yeah

Projecting our lives onto this planet Earth

I think in America, with our fancy 24/7 access to electricity, we often forgo really seeing the night sky. Maybe when hiking through the Rockies or in the middle-of-nowhere-Texas, you can still get a glimpse at the beauty of the night sky, but in most places in America, this rarely happens. Which is too bad, really. The night sky is absolutely phenomenal, and here in Rishi Valley, especially when the moon is less than half-full, you can see literally thousands of stars. I sometimes stand in the soccer pitch and try to take them all in. It's an absolutely glorious sight. It only makes me wish my father would've taught me some of the constellations he knew this summer (we planned to do that in Wyoming, but it was overcast the whole week). I saw two falling stars the other night. What a fantastic view. Reminds you of how huge the world really is.

And when the moon is full and the stars aren't visible, you get cloaked in moonlight. Moonlight is amazing and definitely forgotten in America. Here, I can walk around without a flash light during the week around the full moon. I see my world in different colors when it's illuminated by the moon. And Indian festivals are structured around the moon to take full advantage of the light it provides. I love the night sky.

Rows of lights to illuminate lines
Why don't they turn them off and let us see night?

No comments:

Post a Comment